[GLLUG] digital cameras for unix

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:30:28 -0500

On Thursday 09 January 2003 15:47, after a long battle with technology,
Brian Hoort wrote:
> I'm thinking about purchasing an inexpensive digital camera, and
> would like it to work on GNU/Linux. After a short bit of web surfing,
> it looks like cameras either connect with gphoto or the USB mass
> storage driver. Does this mean that any that connect with gphoto are
> serial connections? Which do you recommend? Are there any other
> issues or suggestions you all have for me?

Yes, gphoto is typically used for serial connections.  gphoto.org has a
compatability list which is pretty up-to-date.  If possible, get
something with a USB interface, as serial links are much slower.

Yet another option is to purchase a USB {CompactFlash, SmartMedia, SD}
adapter.  These show up as USB Mass Storage devices and should work
even if your camera itself doesn't.  Unfortunately, it's another $30
you'd have to spend.

I'm currently using an Olympus D490Z that's about 1.5 years old... works
great with gphoto, should be available for fairly cheap if you can find
it.  A friend's Mitsubishi USB camera also worked just fine without any
extra fiddling... can't make sweeping generalizations since there are
just so many cameras out there, but most of them *do* work.  Once
you've narrowed your selection down to 4 or 5 models, try Googling for
"$CAMERA_NAME Linux" and seeing what others have reported.

Or if you have a laptop, bring that laptop to the camera store, ask to
plug the demo model in and see if you can get it working with gphoto or
the USB system.  Usually they'll let you do this.

--
   I went to edit my info to change "system administrator type dude" to
   "porn star for hire", but all I got was a threat.