[GLLUG] digital cameras for unix

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:46:51 -0500 (EST)

Actually I have always preferred the cameras with USB and a removeable
disks (ie compatct flash) they are both faster than serial and compatible
with more things. A card reader for the removal media is nice for not
wearing out your batteries, plus the media is really cheap and it is
usually faster than camera.

Stay away from I/Omagic they use a proprietary hardware compression
algorithm and they flat out wont work with anything but windows. (well
unless you want to write the decryption code for it..)

Usually the people will be up front about the file formats of the image
files like tiff, jpeg, etc. which you should be okay with a supported
card reader even if the camera itself isnt supported.

I don't know anything about gphoto. I don't even use iPhoto. =)

Sean

PS I always try to stay away from non-standard batteries too. It is really
convenient when your batteries run out to goto the drugstore for them
rather than to wait for them to charge up again.