[GLLUG] digital cameras for unix

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:03:09 -0700

Brian Hoort wrote:
> Do these Compact Flash card readers support mass storage connection
> protocol? If not, what software is used to connect with them?
>
> TIA

If you go the CompactFlash route and plan to download your pictures on a
laptop, you can go one step easier: a CompactFlash to PCMCIA adapter. They can
be found for around $10. Just plug the CF card into the adapter and then
insert the adapter into a PCMCIA slot. As long as your OS supports the PCMCIA
bridge chipset (Linux and FreeBSD usually do), then the card will be
recognized just like any other IDE hard disk.

I was considering buying a PCI to CardBus adapter for my workstation (I'm in
the market for a digital camera as well), but I just had a look at the prices
on those... maybe a CF card reader is a better option. :P

On a final note, there are SmartMedia to floppy disk adapters available, but
they are hard to find these days. My mom has one and it works great, although
I'm doubtful that there are any Linux drivers available. (The normal floppy
drivers aren't enough.)

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net