[GLLUG] ttyS0 trouble

steven collins scollins@thegeekery.com
15 Jan 2003 15:44:28 -0500

I was trying to get minicom setup on my toughbook to console into
routers. Minicom starts, and I can get menu's by typing ctrl+a z etc...
but ctrl+a+ENTER doesn't get me to the router prompt like it should.
It's almost as though it's simply not communicating with the router.
I've verified the cable, router and minicom setup on another machine and
it works fine.

If there is some way I could verify if my serial port is hosed (or just
setup wrong somehow?) that'd be great... anyone have any idea's?

The one thing I did notice between the two machines is when doing
"setserial -g /dev/ttyS0" on the machine that works I get a uart of
"16550A" and "unknown" on the machine that doesn't work. I tried setting
the uart to 16550A and then got "minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS0: No
Such Device"

what's up with that?
ps- this serial port has worked in with a prior install of RH7.2 with
this same setup.

-steven

   grumpybat.net	|   GAIM: SuperEliteDorx0r
   thegeekery.com	|   ICQ:  55173409
   networkofone.com	|   YIM:  grumpybat
"The internet is an imperfect place..."