[GLLUG] Partitions

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:36:09 -0500

On Sunday 19 January 2003 04:35, after a long battle with technology,
April Curley wrote:

Please don't post in HTML to mailing lists.

> How do you set up a partition if you want a dual boot sytem?

More information, please.  If you already have an OS installed on a
system, and you want to add a Linux partition so you can run Linux, you
have to either create a new partition in some unpartitioned space, or
shrink an existing partition so there's some unpartitioned space
available.  Recent versions of Mandrake and SuSE distros have a nice
GUI available from the install process that can resize FAT32 partitions
(you find FAT32 on 'Doze95, 98, ME, and some 2K installations.)

If your disk has only one partition on it, and that partition is NTFS
('DozeNT, some 2K, default for XP) then things get tricky.  There is no
Free software available that I know of that will resize an NTFS
partition.  Recent versions of Partition Magic can do this though.

For detailed advice/guidance on what to do, fully describe what it is
that you want.  Then boot your system with a Tom's RootBoot floppy or
Knoppix CD, execute "fdisk -l /dev/hda", and post that information to
the mailing list.

--
   We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
   management response is to frantically swap in new counters to see if