[GLLUG] Partitions

Marr marr@shianet.org
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:16:41 -0500

On Sunday 19 January 2003 12:36pm, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Sunday 19 January 2003 04:35, after a long battle with technology,
> April Curley wrote:
>
> > How do you set up a partition if you want a dual boot sytem?

(snip)

> If your disk has only one partition on it, and that partition is NTFS
> ('DozeNT, some 2K, default for XP) then things get tricky.  There is no
> Free software available that I know of that will resize an NTFS
> partition.  Recent versions of Partition Magic can do this though.

FWIW, I have successfully used FIPS (http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/) to
perform a non-destructive split of a friend's Windows XP machine's
1-partition NTFS hard disk drive to add 2 partitions (Linux main + Linux
swap) for a GNU/Linux OS installation. This was on a relatively unused
Windows XP installation, though. I don't know how well this would work for a
case where XP (etc) has been in use for some time, having possibly written
all over the single hard disk partition (?).

Of course, the recommendations about backing things up first almost goes
without saying here as well, especially when using FIPS in such a manner.

Bill Marr