[GLLUG] Java

Suzanne Reiner sreiner@fnba.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:10:19 -0500

-----Original Message-----

But why did you hook Apache up as the front end? I have used Tomcat to
serve up static content and it performed quite nicely. Were you serving
up CGI's from another language? (Perl, Python...etc.)

-Alex Nelson
ANSoft Computing
www.ansoftcomputing.com
"We make systems work!"

Abstraction.

I have sites working on customer reporting, marketing, intranet apps, etc.
Java takes up lots of RAM and processor time.  If I have an apache web
server handling http/https requests I can have more modular control.  As
Apache servers deal with requests on page/site level without bogging down
Tomcat with additional rules/roles.  Apache servers, also, need not care how
Tomcat is handling request or how much RAM/Proc Tomcat is sucking up to do
its job (where as, Tomcat standalone does need to be concerned).  Likewise,
tomcat servers need not concern themselves or thier systems with managing
http/https traffic or its flow.  In addition, tomcat servers need not get
bogged down in the, additional, processing of database requests.  So,
database servers are abstracted out, as well.

For our business it is best to let each product do what it is best at doing
(and to have its own hardware to do it).  For smaller projects, I agree,
Tomcat Standalone is a good choice.

Suzanne