[GLLUG] Java

Alex Nelson anelson@ansoftcomputing.com
23 Jan 2003 16:14:28 -0500

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 15:10, Suzanne Reiner wrote:
> Abstraction.
>
> I have sites working on customer reporting, marketing, intranet apps, etc.
> Java takes up lots of RAM and processor time.  If I have an apache web
> server handling http/https requests I can have more modular control.  As
> Apache servers deal with requests on page/site level without bogging down
> Tomcat with additional rules/roles.  Apache servers, also, need not care how
> Tomcat is handling request or how much RAM/Proc Tomcat is sucking up to do
> its job (where as, Tomcat standalone does need to be concerned).  Likewise,
> tomcat servers need not concern themselves or thier systems with managing
> http/https traffic or its flow.  In addition, tomcat servers need not get
> bogged down in the, additional, processing of database requests.  So,
> database servers are abstracted out, as well.
>
> For our business it is best to let each product do what it is best at doing
> (and to have its own hardware to do it).  For smaller projects, I agree,
> Tomcat Standalone is a good choice.
>
> Suzanne

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant. Web applications that include
static content aren't necessarily better off using Apache to handle the
static pages.The additional management overhead often outweighs the
perceived need for additional speed. As for proc/cpu usage, I have yet
to see many applications that failed to perform satisfactorily once they
had been properly tuned. Most cases have been instances of poor design
or implementation. Perhaps you could email me directly about your
experiences. I have worked with a major bank and with several insurance
companies on these types of projects with great success.

--
Alex Nelson
ANSoft Computing