[GLLUG] netatalk on yellowdog linux

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue Jul 8 18:16:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 12:01, Sean wrote:
> Is 'Kendon Elem.Server' the name of the original box running OS 9 by
> chance or the x86 box? I am wondering if the routing tables havent flushed
> on the router or if the atalkd.conf file got copied from somewhere else.

The original OS9 box might have been called that. I'd have to put the
hdd back in to see for sure. The x86 box is called 'Golden_Delicious'.
When I rebuilt this G4 with yellowdog I pulled the original hdd and put
in a brand new unused hard drive. Unless there is some way that an old
name can be saved in some type of persistent memory on the G4 I don't
know where it would have come from. I also don't know how that name
would be in any routing tables either since I'm on an entirely different
network here in the shop. That name does appear to be related to the
problem though - see below.

> If it is showing up in the chooser then you are using ethertalk and you
> need to have the atalkd stuff set up correctly as well as the afpd daemon
> running.
>
> You might try to directly talk to the server via IP by using the "Connect
> to Server" dialogue box in the chooser and see if that can narrow it down
> for you.

I can connect by IP and login with no problem - the server name is right
when I do it that way too. I'm looking now for where the 'Kendon
Elem.Server' name might be coming from. Any other suggestions in that
regard? Should I do a PRAM reset on the G4 or something?

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us