[GLLUG] netatalk on yellowdog linux

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue Jul 8 21:13:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 14:52, Sean wrote:
> just a random thought, did you make sure you added the stuff that goes in
> /etc/services. You need these lines there:
>
> rtmp            1/ddp                           # Routing Table Maint
> Protocol
> nbp             2/ddp                           # Name Binding Protocol
> echo            4/ddp                           # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
> zip             6/ddp                           # Zone Information
> Protocol

Yep. I'd forgotten to check but that but it was all in place anyway.

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:29, Mike wrote:
> It could be asking for the wrong type of authentication via appletalk
> (vs. direct IP).  When you pull up the authentication window does it
> say Two-Way Encrypted or Plain Text?  Is it the same doing it via
> appletalk and ASIP?  That might be the problem.  Just a thought.

Interesting that the x86 box seems to talk appletalk with options for
clear test or encrypted passwords. The G4 has encrypted only.

Just for grins I decided to put the G4 and the iMac on a switch by
themselves. In doing so I suddenly had problems getting a connection
with a cable that I knew should be good. I replaced the little 8 port
switch I was testing the whole thing on and now it's all working fine -
even when I put the whole network back together as I originally had it
(except for the switch). That little Linksys switch apparently was
flakey. I don't understand why the weird symptom with the name though.
Strange.

Thanks to everyone!

--
Mike Rambo