[GLLUG] MDK 9.1 Sound problems.

Rich Clark rrclark at rrclark.net
Tue Jul 15 16:50:26 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 troettger at comcast.net wrote:

> Hello all, I am somewhat new to the list and have a question for you all.  I
> just installed MDK 9.1 on my laptop, new install new partitions.  And I am
> having sound problem.  Nothing new, I ran MDK 9.0 through the beta's and had
> problems with every build, which I could get around and fix myself until 9.1 by
> just correcting the modules config file.  Its an older laptop, a Gateway 2150,
> 600mhz, the sound card is detected as es1371. From previous experience I knew I
> needed to use the es1371 driver, the other driver was the snd-ens1371.  I
> choose this driver when asked in the install but when I first booted the laptop
> The soundcard wasn't working and it was loading the snd-ens1371 driver.
>
> I believe the snd-ens1371 is an ALSA Driver and the es1371 is a OSS driver.  I
> checked the .conf file and fixed what normally fixed it before and it didn't
> work this time.  To get my sound to work I have to rmmod kill the pid for kmix
> (when using kde) then rmmod all the snd drivers I can then run draksound and
> choose the correct driver and it will restart the sound server and work
> normally (but if I don't rmmod the drivers it won't work at all.
>
> >From What I am guessing MDK built the wrong drivers into the kernel so I think
> I am gonna have to recompile the kernel.  Any thoughts on how or why MDK would
> do this?  Any quick fixes?  I haven't recompiled a kernel yet so I am a bit
> leary, though it is a new install and won't kill much if I screw it up.
>
> On an interesting side note, any version of Red Hat perfectly detects and
> configures my card without problem.

Tim,

I also caught Jeff Utter's message.  I'm a long-time Mandrake fiend and
think I could help.  Can you do me a favor and post copies of an lsmod
when the sound doesn't work, and also a copy of /etc/modules.conf, please?
I might be able to help get this unfubar for ya.  Also, please check to
see if artsd is running (issue ps -C artsd).

Rich
--
"In the anals [sic] of internet history no story has generated more hilarity
than the day the florida spammers all got together, pooled their meager