[GLLUG] Building a new system

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Thu Jul 24 12:50:53 EDT 2003

Keyes, Randall wrote:
> Here's an interesting question: Will WINE work on OS X?  It's UNIX, right?

Nope. "WINE Is Not an Emulator." The best way to explain what WINE does is to
imagine that it simply remaps Win32-specific system calls to Unix or
WINE-specific calls. An x86 processor is still required. (The real explanation
is probably a lot more complex.)

There are x86 emulators for the Mac platform, however, but from what I
remember, they aren't open-source (or free as beer).

> What kept my wife and I from getting Mac's previously was (1) Most Mac
> creators/users were liberal snobs

I guess that's like saying that most Linux users are wannabe hacker zealots.

> and (2) no games.

I always thought that there were plenty of games on the Mac, even before OS X.
Sure, video game developers are going to target Win32 first, as that's the
biggest market, but I think if you look around you'll find that the vast
majority of popular games make their way to the Mac at one point or another.

Don't know how true this is any more, but I remember reading a few years ago
that many companies developed their games on Macs and simultaneously port to
Windows for the official release.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net