[GLLUG] Building a new system

troettger at comcast.net troettger at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 20:09:28 EDT 2003

WineX is a great application for games.  Its a comercial offshoot of wine
developed specifically for games. They consistently and monthly work on
updating it.  You pay a small fee for a membership to there club and are then
able to download tar balls or rpm's at your desire.  You also get to vote on
which games are worked on next.  It also works much better then wine for
standard apps that normally wine would have a problem with.  Its being
developed by transgaming.  The fee is very cheap and reasonable.

http://www.transgaming.com/

As far as game systems I am an avid gammer.  Working in computers as well I
also have a few different pc systems in my home for various purposes and need
to keep costs down on my systems to afford the things I need to expand my
skills.  I find that keeping up with my games demands is really not that
difficult.  I run some very high end games right now on fairly standard and not
so expensive hardware.
1.25ghz processor
128mb Graphics card Nvidia  (also have an ATI radeon 9000 pro with 128mb of ram)
512 mb of ram

I upgrade as needed but overall I didn't pay more then $100 to $125 a peice of
the graphics cards, the RAM was Very cheap and my processor was only $125 as
well.

I find it cheper to build my own systems and it allows me to recycle hardware
like hard drives, and cd-roms which I normally have a stack of.  I have an M$
system I use for games right now and am considering converting it to Linux if I
can get some of the games working under Winex.

I personally don't like console games as much as pc games.  Not enough variety
or control.  I have PS2 and rather have my pc.

But that's just my 2cents.