[GLLUG] Re: Building a New System

c.tower at express56.com c.tower at express56.com
Thu Jul 24 23:25:07 EDT 2003

Here are some recommendations for complete systems, Mike, and some of the parent Web sites have other recommendations for different kinds of systems.  The parent sites are also good sources for hardware reviews.  Anandtech and Sharky Extreme have pricing comparisons for CPUs, RAM, and motherboards.

   http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1462

   http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/budget.html

   http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/2236481

In my recent experience, motherboards using nVidia's nForce (and probably nForce2) chips do not play well with Linux.  I'm having a hell of a time getting X Windows to run on Vector Linux (based on Slackware 8.1), and Mandrake Linux only runs X Windows using the fbdev driver, which I assume takes very little advantage of the graphics chip.  (Knoppix, however, seems to like it fine.)  I knew next to nothing about configuring X until I tried getting it to run with this motherboard.  While I'm no expert yet, I have no fear of editing the X configuration file.

                             Chick