[GLLUG] Building a new system

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Fri Jul 25 11:01:20 EDT 2003

Melson, Paul wrote:
> It always blows my mind when I hear someone say that BIND named is still
> the most widely used nameserver on the Internet.  The same with
> Sendmail.  Both fine systems, but both are so very counterintuitive when
> it comes to configuration.
>
> But beyond complaining about cryptic config files, are there specific
> questions that people have?  I've had reasonable success with BIND in
> the past and I feel like I could probably answer a question or two (so
> long as it's not on automating reverse lookup updates for dynamically
> addressed hosts).

Well, I'm not currently futzing with it because of other time issues.
But I guess I do have one request that could help. Could somebody post
an *actually working* BIND file for some relatively simple domain?

The examples in the BIND HOWTO are actually harder to wade through
because of their use of bad domains (.bogus), and over-use of
"localhost". I think seeing a real example would help a lot.

I think I'd have an easier time understand what's going on if I could
search&replace something into a working file (even if it's not perfect),
then I could play with that file to see what happens, whereas trying to
set one up from scratch is difficult because the HOWTO keeps doing wierd
(to me) things.