[GLLUG] system halt on file transer

Dylan Misenheimer misenhe1 at msu.edu
Fri Jul 25 19:47:15 EDT 2003

ahhh, that makes sense.  i haven't had any problems cp or mv 'ing files to
different partitions, or even diff drive altogether, and we're talking some
big files (in the proccess of ripping all my DVDs).  using a tyan tiger MPX
mobo, can't find the actual IDE controller specs, looks pretty generic with
AMD-762 north bridge & AMD-768 south bridge.  now the NIC i'm using is getting
pretty suspect.  i got a 64bit Gig over copper NIC (using the realtek 8139
chip), which may be the root of my problems.  the kernel module that came with
it never really loaded properly, but the 2.4.21 kernel supports that chip now.
 although, as soon as i started using that NIC, i couldn't really FTP into my
box anymore.  err, i could using a real FTP client, but dos ftp, or using a
browser to FTP wouldn't let me list the directories.  so i will switch back to
my 3com NIC, cross my fingers, and post with any more problems :)

thanks for the help
dylan

--
It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people
 who have a genuine medical need for coffee

                         -Dave Barry