[GLLUG] Sharing /tmp Among Distros

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Thu Jun 12 10:35:00 EDT 2003

Oooh!  Oooh!  Mistair Kottair, I know why!

Because /tmp is often chmod 1777 or 777, there are security risks
associated with having a script (especially an init script, which would
typically run as root) delete content from /tmp.  For example, a
malicious user could create a link from some place in /tmp to
/etc/passwd which could then be unlinked by the init script at boot.
There are ways of mitigating this specific problem (i.e. `find /tmp
-type f |xargs rm`), but it's generally considered a bad practice to
bulk remove content from any world-writable directory.

PaulM