[GLLUG] computer science schools in michigan

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
10 Mar 2003 22:19:38 -0800

"jonah _" <fuzzyjonah@hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm a senior in high school and trying to decide where to go to
> school next fall. I was wondering if any of you know what schools have
> the better computer science programs. The names I've heard so far
> are Wayne State, Ferris State, Northern Michigan, Eastern Michigan,
> and of course Michigan State.

You can get a good engineering (or computer science) education at
just about any school that offers the course of study you're
interested in--as long as you *want* to.  An interested student
will go above and beyond what's actually taught.  An interested
student will also chase down faculty who are interested in the
same things he is and get them to do independent studies or let
him join in on research projects.  The interested student may
not, in fact, get the best grades--because he's too busy actually
getting an education to do homework--or even major in what he's
interested in.

That said, of those you list I'd like to point out that Michigan
State is pretty good.  They have solid faculty--I worked with a
few as an undergrad--and they do a good job with undergrads.  U
of M has a better reputation but I've heard they don't pay much
attention to undergrads.  It's a top-notch grad school for what
it's worth.

(I'm an MSU alum who managed to get in at Stanford as a computer
science Ph.D. student--and without ever having taken an undergrad
CS course, and only a single grad course.  It can be done...)
--
"Ho ho ho. I _so_ enjoy making a fool out of myself."
--Linus, on Christmas Day, 2000