[GLLUG] computer science schools in michigan

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:38:06 -0500

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 01:19, after a long battle with technology, Ben
Pfaff wrote:
> "jonah _" <fuzzyjonah@hotmail.com> writes:
> > school next fall. I was wondering if any of you know what schools
> > have the better computer science programs. The names I've heard so
> > far are Wayne State, Ferris State, Northern Michigan, Eastern
> > Michigan, and of course Michigan State.
>
> An interested student
> will go above and beyond what's actually taught.  An interested
> student will also chase down faculty who are interested in the
> same things he is and get them to do independent studies or let
> him join in on research projects.

This may be true... but the wise student knows that when he graduates
and gets a Real Job, the amount of spare time he has available goes way
down.  Therefore, the wise student will parcel out plenty of time for
beer drinking and hooking up.

> U of M has a better reputation but I've heard they don't pay much
> attention to undergrads.  It's a top-notch grad school for what
> it's worth.

Ben is mostly right about U of M.  The amount of attention that
undergrads get there varies widely with the program you're in.
Chemistry students don't get much until they do their undergrad
research projects.  English students get a lot more.

You mentioned NMU.  Don't go there unless you like the relative
isolation and wilderness of the U.P--remember that Marquette only has
about 30,000 people, and it's the largest city in the U.P.  If you *do*
like the relative isolation and wilderness of the U.P, you can probably
get a better education at MTU.

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001