[GLLUG] computer science schools in michigan

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:28:07 -0500

jonah _ wrote:
> I’m a senior in high school and trying to decide where to go to school
> next fall. I was wondering if any of you know what schools have the
> better computer science programs. The names I’ve heard so far are Wayne
> State, Ferris State, Northern Michigan, Eastern Michigan, and of course
> Michigan State.
>
> thanks,
> jonah

I moved here (Lansing) with the explicit intention of going to MSU for my CS
degree. I'm still a freshman (doing general ed classes at LCC), so I can't
comment on the actual quality of the cirriculum itself just yet, but the
selection process is detailed below.

My method was to hit the various Michigan college websites and take a look at
the classes they offered in CS. When I saw a school that had something like,
"Advanced Computer Science with Visual Basic" I would immediately cross that
school off my list. :) I also looked at how many CS professors there were, how
developed and informative their CS homepage was, etc. There were other factors
as well, including a couple of informal interviews.

I don't remember the top contenders, but MSU won out.

(However, if money and past academic performance were not factors, I'd be at
MIT right now. :) )

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://www.bityard.net