[GLLUG] FreeBSD, USB, and a KVM

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 12:57:00 -0400 (EDT)

I don't get what you are saying..
Why would a KVM being supplying emulation for USB mice/keyboard for the
"off" device? Muchless platform specific for USB? The whole point of USB
(and firewire) is so you can add and remove devices on the fly. Which
means the OS needs to load and unload drivers on the fly. Which the mac
and Linux both do.

You can use a PC usb keyboard on a Mac and vice versa. There are a few
differences in how the keys are mapped but this is a driver (software)
issue. I dont see why you would need a persistant device mapping like you
would for PS/2 since it basically defeats the purpose of USB muchless mac
or PC specific if there is such a thing.

The ONLY exception I know of offhand to this the first generation or so of
the Macs had to change the USB standard slightly (on the controller) to
make it so you could power on and off from the keyboard power button
because the USB standard doesnt support that.

USB still sucks btw for a myriad more reasons.