[GLLUG] deleted /dev files

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

You probably just need to create a link from the actual device to a file
called cdrom.

like
ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom

This is on mine:
[root@test-afs-1 dev]# ls -l cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 8 16:16 cdrom -> /dev/hda

(your device may vary, like hdb, hdc, etc. depending on where it is on the
ide chain.) Do a:
dmesg | grep hd

Which should give you some spam back but you should see your CD-ROM listed
in it. like:
hda: TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
^^^
This is the device file you want to link to.