[GLLUG] dwl-120 (wi-fi)

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Nov 11 14:25:12 EST 2003

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Try a Lucent Orinoco card.  Should work fine.

My point is I'm trying to find one and I can't. I've already
systematically eliminated all the "B" wireless cards currently in stock
at Best Buy, except for the Microsoft offering which I have to admit
I've simply assumed won't work in Linux. (*cough*)

I've been burned twice now on switch-o-change-o chipsets and so I'm not
inclined to order something online, only to discover that it too has
switched to some POS chipset with no Linux support, and horrid return
procedures. (There's no way to learn from Best Buy's website *which*
DWL-650 they are selling, for instance; few people seem to bother
listing the *sub*-revision of the card they are selling. I've never
found any.)

Does anyone have experience with the currently-available "G" cards
working in Linux? I hate to buy a G card for a B network ($$$) but maybe
they'll have a higher quality (i.e., "works in Linux") chipset?