[GLLUG] linuxant drivers - was dwl-120 (wi-fi)

Joseph Glass jglass at liquidweb.com
Tue Nov 11 15:07:21 EST 2003

For those of you that haven't heard, www.linuxant.com offers a program
called driverloader which lets you use many unsupported wireless
chipsets with their respective windows driver under Linux.  I'm using
this with my Broadcomm 54g card, and it also has support for Intel's
Centrino cards.  It works well until 2.4.22 and the 2.4.23 test kernels,
though I'm still trying to get it work with my 2.6 test9 kernel.  It's
very easy to get working, you just need to include wireless extensions
in the kernel and run their setup utilities.  It's free for 30 days,
after that it's $20.

Along the lines of your frustrations, I bought a DWL-122 from Best Buy,
which is a USB 802.11b adaptor.  It was supposedly supported with
linux-wlan-ng, but the card I bought used a different hardware address
than the one in they supported.  But, with a simple 1 line patch that
told the driver to also look at the correct hardware address, and a
quick recompile of the wlan-ng tools, everything was peachy.  I don't
have my laptop booted right now, but if you're interested, I can post
the patch.

Good Luck,
Joe Glass

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:25, Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Try a Lucent Orinoco card.  Should work fine.
>
> My point is I'm trying to find one and I can't. I've already
> systematically eliminated all the "B" wireless cards currently in stock
> at Best Buy, except for the Microsoft offering which I have to admit
> I've simply assumed won't work in Linux. (*cough*)
>
> I've been burned twice now on switch-o-change-o chipsets and so I'm not
> inclined to order something online, only to discover that it too has
> switched to some POS chipset with no Linux support, and horrid return
> procedures. (There's no way to learn from Best Buy's website *which*
> DWL-650 they are selling, for instance; few people seem to bother
> listing the *sub*-revision of the card they are selling. I've never
> found any.)
>
> Does anyone have experience with the currently-available "G" cards
> working in Linux? I hate to buy a G card for a B network ($$$) but maybe
> they'll have a higher quality (i.e., "works in Linux") chipset?

Joseph Glass
Systems Administrator
Liquid Web Inc.
800.580.4985 x227