[GLLUG] sound with Knoppix

Todd Torrey todd_torrey at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:10:09 EST 2003

I was trying out Knoppix 3.3 on a system with a Cyrix media GX processor.
The audio chipset is a CX5530, which I believe is SB16 compatible. Anyway, I
can't get sound to work on it. The drivers seem to all be in place, as
Knoppix has really good hardware detection. Here is lsmod's listing:

smbfs                  33968   2  (autoclean)
autofs4                 8756   1  (autoclean)
af_packet              13448   0  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2876   0  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4380   0  (autoclean)
kahlua                  1704   0
sb_lib                 33550   0  [kahlua]
uart401                 6052   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  55276   0  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               3428   4  [sb_lib sound]
8139too                17096   1
mii                     2256   0  [8139too]
crc32                   2832   0  [8139too]
serial                 52004   0  (autoclean)
apm                     9768   1
rtc                     6940   0  (autoclean)
cloop                   8068   2

and here is the relevant stuff from dmesg:

Cyrix Kahlua VSA1 XpressAudio support (c) Copyright 2003 Red Hat Inc
kahlua: XpressAudio at 0x220
kahlua: XpressAudio on IRQ 5, DMA 1, 5

If I 'cat some_audio.au > /dev/audio' I don't get any errors, I just don't
get any sound.
By the way, I'm doing all this from init level 2. I've checked the obvious
stuff like the speakers and cables too. I'm not finding much info on the
Knoppix web site or via google. Maybe my hardware is just hosed.