[GLLUG] sound with Knoppix

Rich Clark rrclark at rrclark.net
Wed Nov 19 08:25:29 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Todd Torrey wrote:

> I was trying out Knoppix 3.3 on a system with a Cyrix media GX processor.
> The audio chipset is a CX5530, which I believe is SB16 compatible. Anyway, I
> can't get sound to work on it. The drivers seem to all be in place, as
> Knoppix has really good hardware detection. Here is lsmod's listing:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> smbfs                  33968   2  (autoclean)
> autofs4                 8756   1  (autoclean)
> af_packet              13448   0  (autoclean)
> nls_iso8859-1           2876   0  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               4380   0  (autoclean)
> kahlua                  1704   0
> sb_lib                 33550   0  [kahlua]
> uart401                 6052   0  [sb_lib]
> sound                  55276   0  [sb_lib uart401]
> soundcore               3428   4  [sb_lib sound]
> 8139too                17096   1
> mii                     2256   0  [8139too]
> crc32                   2832   0  [8139too]
> serial                 52004   0  (autoclean)
> apm                     9768   1
> rtc                     6940   0  (autoclean)
> cloop                   8068   2
>
> and here is the relevant stuff from dmesg:
>
> Cyrix Kahlua VSA1 XpressAudio support (c) Copyright 2003 Red Hat Inc
> kahlua: XpressAudio at 0x220
> kahlua: XpressAudio on IRQ 5, DMA 1, 5
>
> If I 'cat some_audio.au > /dev/audio' I don't get any errors, I just don't
> get any sound.

Try catting the file to /dev/dsp and see what happens.

> By the way, I'm doing all this from init level 2. I've checked the obvious
> stuff like the speakers and cables too. I'm not finding much info on the
> Knoppix web site or via google. Maybe my hardware is just hosed.

I doubt it's the hardware.  You may also want to modify your configuration
so the system loads up the Alsa drivers for that chipset.

Rich
--
DETROIT SUBGENIUS DEVIVAL	Nov 29, 2003  Doors @ 9pm
Magic Stick Theatre	4120-4140 Woodward Ave  Detroit, MI