[GLLUG] Shared Email Accounts

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Thu Oct 2 15:19:38 EDT 2003

On 2 Oct 2003, Mike Rambo wrote:

> We have tracking systems (currently a proprietary one we hope to soon
> switch to one php/mysql based). What Jeff is referring to is one of
> the ways users have of getting workorders in the tracking system -
> that of an email to techhelp. Both of the help desk people need to
> access that one email account without getting confused over what has
> and has not been already handled. The only way I had thought of when
> I saw the post was to use a webmail client (something someone else
> thought of yesterday too). Jeff was asking whether imap would help
> solve the problem of two people accessing one email account in order
> to get workorders into the tracking system.

Can you just automate the insert into the tracking system? Like set up a
procmail rule that calls a script that inserts the body of the message
directly into the tracking system assigning it to the help-desk
area by default. Then your help desk people can clean it up and reassign
or resolve the problem.

You could also just have it dump straight into a database and put a front
end on the database. The only real benefit to that would be getting
the script straightened out before moving to the "better" solution which
is replacing your help-desk solution with one that does what you need it
to do. A very basic php, mysql/postgresql, procmail, web-form, etc
wouldn't take very long to write at all.

If you are looking for a REALLY lazy solution, make them mail themselves.
like with "subject: lab down --closed" with the resolution in the email.
Then you can follow the thread with the subject lines and both people are
going to get the mail.

Sean