[GLLUG] Personal APT Debs cache

Ben Pfaff blp at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 27 19:12:05 EST 2003

Brian Hoort <hoortbri at msu.edu> writes:

> I have multiple Debian boxes at home with a phone line connection to
> the Internet.  Downloading updated .debs for each box seems retarded.
> I glanced through a few books I have (Running Linux, Linux
> Administration Handbook) and a few at the book store, and only one
> mentions doing this, LAH.  However, it just mentions doing it and
> suggests that I can do it with a HTTP share, and point the clients to
> it with the apt-sources.list, or share it with NFS, without getting
> into the guts of doing so?  Have any of you done this?

I haven't done this, but off-hand I'd just use a shared "squid"
web cache.  That way you'll get caching on your .debs and on
everything else on the web too.

For NFS-based sharing, I think you'd just have one of the
machines have a "real" /var/cache/apt, and make the others mount
it over NFS from the first machine.  I'm not sure how happily
they'd interact if you ran simultaneous downloads on multiple
machines in that case, though.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys."