[GLLUG] hostname difficulties

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Thu Sep 4 05:30:54 EDT 2003

RH 4/5/6/7/8 are known to produce messed up
/etc/hosts files with jumbled lines like:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain 192.168.5.4 computer4.scrudrlmcb.net

Note, I think /etc/sysconfig/network specifies the hostname.

For myself, with RH, the only time I use a wizard is for
configuring and managing printers.  Otherwise, I find that I too often
get burned by wizard interfaces which do magically buggy things.
(Tip: reverse engineer by scanning /etc everytime you use their wizard
 to see which files it is altering?)

--
Scott Harrison <harris41 at msu.edu>
Michigan State University