[GLLUG] hostname difficulties

Matt Shirilla mshirilla at micim.com
Thu Sep 4 08:57:37 EDT 2003

I am new Linux user.  I am using Mandrake 9.1.  I changed the hostname by
editing /etc/sysconfig/network.  The next time I booted my computer I
noticed a long delay after opening an application.  My first guess was that
there is some service that runs on my Mandrake installation that is trying
to connect to the fictional domain I entered in the hostname.  The nbtstat
command showed an open UDP port 53 on my computer to the DNS server of my
ISP.  I do not recall seeing that in the nbtstat before (The only apps I
used that day were KDE, VNC, Konsole, and the file manager which is called
Conqueror I think.)  I have to admit I do not know what most of the services
shown by a chkconfig --list are for and I am wondering if one of them
getting confused by my new hostname.  I changed the hostname back and shut
off my computer - it was too late for me to turn it back on.