[GLLUG] Registering on MSU Network / Wireless question

J. C. LAMACCHIA JR. jclii at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 14:56:39 EDT 2003

Thomas,

     I have configured two Mandrake systems, and two
FreeBSD system for MSU's network.

     MSU used to have information for configuring Red
Hat on the web but it looks like it was removed when
their site was updated.

     Anyhow I can't tell you how to precisely do this
for Red Hat but here are the important steps.

     You did not indicate whether you configured your
ethernet card for MSU's network.  In case you haven't
here's some information that should be of help.

     The steps for Windows and Mac's are located at
http://help.msu.edu/ethernet/ .  For Mandrake here is
the information that I needed.

1) the DNS servers are: 35.8.2.41 & 35.8.2.42

2) select DHCP and use the gateway of 35.8.2.3

3) for the Host name use user.msu.edu .

4) if any other information is needed you can probably
derive it from the Windows or Apple configuration
instructions.

     After the card is configured and the
configuration is saved, then open your browser and
enter the URL dhcp.msu.edu.  Please note that before
the computer is registered that the browser will not
open any site outside of MSU's network so if your
homepage is located outside of MSU's network the
browser will not open that site.  However if the card
is properly configured you should be able to get to
MSU's registration site (dhcp.msu.edu) whereupon you
can select register my computer and follow the
instructions.

Jim LaMacchia
Computer Services Librarian
MSU-Detroit College of Law