[GLLUG] mounting partitions on boot up

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Sep 17 22:56:42 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 14:18, after a long battle with
technology, Mark Tarquini wrote:
> i've tried doing this in the past, but it never 'keeps' my changes.
> ... must be going at it the wrong way so...
> I want this to happen when i boot up my PC:
>
> mount /dev/hda2 /home/iametarq/win2k
> where is the correct place to put such an option?

# in /etc/fstab
/dev/hda2  /home/iametarq/win2k  vfat  umask=000  0  0
# end /etc/fstab addition

This assumes your 'Doze2K partition is FAT32.  Change the obvious thing
if it's NTFS.  If there's already an entry for /dev/hda2 in /etc/fstab,
remove the "noauto" option and make sure the umask=000 option is
present.  Like Marshal said, "man fstab mount" for info on what you can
put in /etc/fstab and the options you can feed to mount.  HTH,

--
   That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
   --Trevor Goodchild, AEon Flux