[GLLUG] Restarting Mouse service

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Fri Sep 19 20:15:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Seth Bembeneck wrote:

> Is it possible to restart the mouse service with out restarting Linux?
>

> I have a KVM switch box and some times when I switch to a different computer
> and then back the mouse goes crazy.
>
> I have to then restart to fix the mouse.

'/etc/init.d/gpm restart' as root or with sudo.  Assuming you're talking
about console.  If it's from within X, then frequently switching to
console and back again fixes it.  ctrl-alt-f2, then alt-f7.  (If that
gives you a login prompt, then go up the f-keys until you get X.  If
nothing happens, go down.)

You can also exit X (or restart if you're using xdm, gdm, or kdm to login)
with ctrl-alt-backspace (not delete).

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating