[GLLUG] FreeBSD smbfs question

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Sat Sep 20 02:18:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, C. Ulrich wrote:

> > Try: `mount_smbfs -I [ip of powerface] -W EILNET //eil at powerface/test
> > /share`
> >
> > Do you still get the same error message?
> >
> > PaulM
>
> Nope, but it prompts for a password, which is what I'm trying to get
> around. Leaving out the -I and -W flags works fine, too. What I'd like
> to do is get the config file straighted out so that I can just plop a
> line into fstab and have it automatically mount the smb share during
> boot.

This is a bit of a workaround, rather than a fix for the mount problem,
but you could try including a config file based on the connecting machine,
and allow guest access in that config file.  For example, include in
smb.conf:
'include = /etc/samba/%I.smb.conf'

%I is the IP address of the client machine, and the least likely to be
spoofed.  Internet name (%M) and Netbios name (%m) are also available.

In the ip.ad.dr.es.smb.conf file, you can set up the directory in question
to be guest readable, probably also setting the "map to guest" parameter.

Look at 'man smb.conf' for details, especially at 'include' so you can see
why you want to avoid 'security = share' in an included config file.

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating