[GLLUG] Linux forms

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Sep 23 16:34:25 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:45, Edward Glowacki wrote:
> AFAIK, there isn't any real good, universal console ("green screen")
> toolkit equivalent to the X toolkits like GTK or QT, with nice widgets
> and good support.  Basically the trend seems to be that the console is
> used for simple text output, very basic input, and that's about it.  For
> more interactive applications, most people have either gone to the GUI
> or the web.

A few years ago, I was looking for a something that would give me a
quick and easy GUI frontend to an equally quick and easy shell script.
xmessage and dialog both ended up being too limited and I was too lazy
to look for something that wouldn't normally be found on a standard
Unixish system.

So I ended up learning Tcl/Tk. :P

One day I'd like to give a little spiel on it at a meeting since Tcl is
very easy to learn, flexible, and powerful even if Tk (the GUI
extension) a little behind the times.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net