[GLLUG] fluxbox questions

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Sep 23 16:39:15 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:40, steven collins wrote:
> I've recently started using fluxbox on some of my machines. I've noticed
> some odd activity that I was hoping someone here could shed some light
> on for me. So here is it:
>
> Certain functions like mouse settings, background wallpaper, and
> screensaver don't work until I open gnomecc and click the option. I
> don't need to enable anything or change the settings and save them. Just
> click it and suddenly it works right. (an exception here is the
> background image. It shows up but is all stretched out funny until going
> into gnomecc).
>
> Is there some options I'm missing in fluxbox that need to be passed
> during fluxbox startup? Maybe in the .xinitrc file? I'm at a loss. The
> fluxbox FAQ is slightly lacking.
>
> -steven

Are you trying to use it in conjunction with GNOME? If that's the case,
then you've probably come across some bugs. I'm using an older version
on my underpowered laptop, which has always worked great. However, I
recently tried both the newer stable and development versions but ended
up uninstalling them because of some showstopping bugs. It appears
development of fluxbox is moving very slowly. I'm trying to adapt to
fvwm2 now, which is very fast, very configurable, and very stable. The
biggest downfall is that you have to learn the "fvwm2 programming
language" (my terminology, not theirs) just to tweak the thing. :P

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net