[GLLUG] can PINE read Evolutions mbox'es?

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 16 13:59:35 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 10:04, Mark Tarquini wrote:
> Is it possible to setup PINE to read Evolution's mbox files?

Dunno about that one.

> It would be heaven like if it were possible to have PINE read my mbox
> from evolution so that when i ssh to my box when out of town i could
> read my email that way.
>
> I did a google search and it appears it cannot be done with POP3, but it
> can be done with IMAP. =(

I've had pretty good success using IMAP with a combination of mail
clients, including Evolution, Mozilla, and IMP webmail.  I forward all
my mail to my own server (running Sendmail), then use
procmail+spamassassin to filter everything (mailing lists into folders,
spam, etc.), and Courier IMAP server to dish out messages.  No matter
where I access it, all the messages are filtered the same and have the
same status of read/replied/deleted/etc, and spam is always neatly
tucked away in the SPAM folder.  Definitely glad I set that whole system
up, makes reading email a lot more convenient, and it should work with
any email client that supports imap.  It's definitely a lot cleaner and
more reliable solution than trying to get PINE to mess around with
Evolution's downloaded mail folders.

If you're worried about security and you don't want to run your own mail
server, you might try using "fetchmail" (I think that's the one
anyway...) instead to download your mail from the POP3 server to your
machine, then run it through bogofilter or whatever to clean it up and
get rid of spam.  Then you could set up an IMAP server, but restrict it
to only accept connections from that machine.  That way Evolution would
still work on that machine and you could also SSH in to that machine and
read mail with PINE.

I guess it all depends on how much work you want to do up-front to get
the system in place.  Personally, I'm glad I did the work, but it also
went pretty smoothly for me.  Your mileage may vary... =)

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
A PBS mind in an MTV world.
	-- Author unknown