[GLLUG] Hello Everyone...

Impact impact at absoluteinsight.net
Mon Aug 2 08:47:27 EDT 2004

Hello there guys and gals.  I just joined the mailing list and figured I would introduce myself.
This is the first mailing list I've ever been on, so I'm learning the process, but that shouldn't take long.

Stuff about me:
Name: Dan Sherman
Age: 19
School: Sophomore at MSU in Comp Eng.
Linux Ability: Low-Med.  I can host a server and work with some slightly more advanced options.  I can do the basics in the console, but still prefer X.  I can work with Apache, PHP, MySQL, ProFTPd, BIND, SSH, etc.  The basics.  I can make them do what I want, but it ends soon after that.
Why I joined:  I'm not overly active in any clubs except POP Entertainment, so I figured I might as well get into a club I enjoy.
What I'm working on now:  I own/run www.absoluteinsight.net which is a Comp Hardware/software reviews website, but also has music/movies/news on there (for now) as well.  I am also working on getting a small hosting company set up.  This would involve one dedicated server, and hopefully 10-20 customers.  Nothing large, but I have a good friend, who is good at web design, and wanted to keep the money for hosting with someone he knew, rather than send design customers to another company.  For that, I just registered www.absoluteservers.net (nothing there yet), and am working on getting the DNS servers to work correctly.
Programming:  For the most part, I'm fairly proficient in C++ (no networking yet, sorry), and PHP.  I can work with VB, Perl, Python, and Java, but prefer not to =P.  I've written a small DirectX top-down flight-shooter (network play and single player), but thats about where I stop with games... I think I have a copy of it around here someplace, if you wanna see it, let me know.

Anyhow, thats a little about me, i'm here now.  I plan on getting to as many of the meetings as I can as soon as school starts.  Are there any group projects being worked on currently?  Anything I should be aware of?

Yeah,
-Dan Sherman (Impact)