[GLLUG] Hello Everyone...

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Thu Aug 12 23:27:58 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

Doesn't look like anyone's replied to this yet, so it looks like I'll be the
first to welcome you to the list.

On Mon, August 2, 2004 12:47 pm, Impact said:
> Hello there guys and gals.  I just joined the mailing list and figured I would
> introduce myself.
> This is the first mailing list I've ever been on, so I'm learning the process,
> but that shouldn't take long.

Mailing lists are easy. The same courtesies apply as in regular email and
other electronic discussion formats such as usenet, bulletin boards, and web
forums.

> Linux Ability: Low-Med.  I can host a server and work with some slightly more
> advanced options.  I can do the basics in the console, but still prefer X.  I
> can work with Apache, PHP, MySQL, ProFTPd, BIND, SSH, etc.  The basics.  I can
> make them do what I want, but it ends soon after that.
> Why I joined:  I'm not overly active in any clubs except POP Entertainment, so
> I figured I might as well get into a club I enjoy.

You're in the right place. The meetings have pretty much withered away over
the summer, but we expect to get back into the swing of things and even make
some improvements once fall hits.

> Programming:  For the most part, I'm fairly proficient in C++ (no networking
> yet, sorry), and PHP.  I can work with VB, Perl, Python, and Java, but prefer
> not to =P.

Can't say I blame you on VB, Perl, and Java, but only out of curiousity, what
don't you like about Python? We've just started using it where I work and
there seem to be a lot of advantages to it.

> Anyhow, thats a little about me, i'm here now.  I plan on getting to as many
> of the meetings as I can as soon as school starts.  Are there any group
> projects being worked on currently?  Anything I should be aware of?

I haven't been able to make any of the recent meetings, but last I heard there
was a lot of interest in working on a project as a group. There were some
interesting suggestions such as building a cluster and building a Linux
distro, but I'm not sure if anything was ever officially decided upon. At the
start of the year, we were holding free Linux classes for group members and
the community. That was fun.

Again, welcome and hope to see you at a future meeting.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net