[GLLUG] The Python talk reminds me of a question...

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Mon Aug 16 09:48:04 EDT 2004

>However, times change and I have decided to learn Python. I've skimmed the
>tutorial and other information sources, but to really get into it I figured
>the best approach was to decide on a little project and implement it with
>Python.
>
>My project is to implement a bibliography program - basically a little
>database with journal articles, book chapters, etc, that I can ultimately
>toss.

You may eventually want to check out
http://pybliographer.org/ (a python-based bibliography engine
that can work on top of bibtex files and other formats).

Personally, I prefer to straight-edit (with emacs) a latex
.bib file and write on-the-fly scripts or shell commands as
I need them (e.g. 'grep "^[[:space:]]*title" refs.bib').  This is
an easy way to search through 1000 entries and tag with
extraneous fields when making notes to oneself.

I haven't used pybliographer for a few years (the early
versions of the software were a bit unpredictable), but
I would imagine pybliographyer is much improved by now.
I generally liked its overall architecture and what they
were doing at the source-code level.

Better bibliography tools for the linux desktop with
power on par with commercial alternatives
(RefMan/EndNote) are a much-needed feature.
My best guess is that pybliographer will-be/is
one such tool and is open for suggestions and
involvement; bibliographies have a way of requiring
solutions for a wide range of usage niches.

Regards,
Scott