[GLLUG] dual-boot

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Mon Aug 16 15:47:35 EDT 2004

Use the boot loader of the OS loaded on the booting drive (primary
master if your drives are IDE).  Do NOT allow the boot loader of the
second OS to install to the MBR.  Then, just add the second OS to the
boot loader menu of the first.  In this case, both distros use GRUB.
Let's pretend you installed SuSE on the primary master (aka C: or
/dev/hda) first and then Fedora on the secondary master (aka /dev/hdc).
Then you would boot to SuSE and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (or use
yast2->System->Configure Boot Loader).  Add the following:

title Fedora
    kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc2 showopts
    initrd (hd2,0)/initrd

This also assumes that your Fedora /boot partition is the first
partition on the secondary master (/dev/hdc1) and the / partition is the
second partition on that drive (/dev/hdc2).

PaulM