[GLLUG] Hello Everyone...

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Mon Aug 16 22:14:42 EDT 2004

On Sat, August 14, 2004 2:11 pm, Asenchi said:
> I started using Python a bit ago, but found some of it a bit hard to
> understand.  Especially not understanding programming as a whole just
> yet.

I can sypathize with that. If the Learning Python book wasn't around to
explain each minute detail and quirk of Python, I might have given up long
ago. Once you start to get the hang of it, though, it's not so bad. Code is
readable and therefore self-documenting and easy to maintain.

> However, I found Ruby and it is amazing.  Pretty much anything you
> can do in Python you can do in Ruby.  It is such a fun programming
> language and a great one to start out on programming with.

I've always heard good things about Ruby. My language of choice is Tcl. It's a
combination of extreme simplicity and power that you rarely come across in a
scripting language. The biggest downfall is that the community is very small
and the language itself never seems to gather much press or interest.

> Here is a project that I've been working on with a friend in Germany.
>
> http://darkshed.dyndns.org/~mathias/content.php?article.8

Hey, that's pretty slick. I could see myself using a program like that,
especially as the weather around here has been fluctuating a lot recently and
it's hard to tell through intuition alone what the rest of the day is going to
be like, weather-wise.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net