[GLLUG] Distro of Choice?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Aug 18 12:51:21 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 11:09, after a long battle with technology,
Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 at 01:54:57AM -0400, Darrel Ray Clute, III wrote:
>> I have used Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Debian, and have built systems
>> from source.  Personally I prefer the latter for the flexibility
>> and ease of updating, for me anyway.  For a complete newb I would
>> have to say either Mandrake or Suse.

SuSE's a nice distro, but it has all the problems common to RPM-based
systems.

> Here, here, long live Debian/Sarge (at it probably will!...)

"Hear, hear", surely?  I use Gentoo on all my personal machines because
its installation and configuration process is very well-documented,
there's no Dependency Hell, keeping a system up to date is insanely
easy, and it's possible to install mplayer and all its codecs without
the tedious and obscure steps necessary on Debian.

--
   "Which you then convert to gold, non-perishable food, firearms, good
   liquor & a secluded hideaway in the last of the internet official