[GLLUG] Distro of Choice?

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed Aug 18 15:37:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 12:51, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 11:09, after a long battle with technology,
> Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 at 01:54:57AM -0400, Darrel Ray Clute, III wrote:
> >> I have used Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Debian, and have built systems
> >> from source.  Personally I prefer the latter for the flexibility
> >> and ease of updating, for me anyway.  For a complete newb I would
> >> have to say either Mandrake or Suse.
>
> SuSE's a nice distro, but it has all the problems common to RPM-based
> systems.

Which common RPM based problems? Shouldn't be dependencies any more. I
don't use Suse but I thought it's YAST system handled those
automatically. I know recent Redhat's (since FC1 anyway) have apt-get
and yum both of which handle dependencies. Seems many derivatives have
went that direction too (yellowdog, k12ltsp, whitebox) with at least one
of those update systems. Mandrake uses their own urpmi thing which does
AFAIK all the common apt-get things except dist-upgrade. Apt-get itself
on RPM systems is identical in function to apt-get on Debian (or so I
read - I've never used Debian). What is missing? Perhaps not as many
packages?

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...