[GLLUG] Want Linux newbie session topics and materials from MLUG?

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Mon Aug 30 10:19:14 EDT 2004

I do not represent the list, but I would be interested in the
information.

Sincerely,

Szymon Machajewski
MCSD, RHCT, CNA, MySQL Core, CompTIA Linux+
Grand Rapids Community College

>>> Whil Hentzen <lug at hentzenwerke.com> 8/29/2004 11:03:30 PM >>>
Hi folks,

Gonna try an experiment here.

I've been holding newbie sessions before the general meeting of the
Milwaukee LUG for about a year now. They've been a good way for me to
learn
something about Linux administration (I'm a custom software developer
and
part-time book publisher by trade, so the admin part is all new to me)
and
have been my way of giving back to the community for all the questions
I've
asked over the years.

These newbie sessions have been pretty well received - they're not
strictly
one-way presentations, but more of a guided discussion about a topic.
That
way, even the very experienced members learn something once in a
while.

After each newbie session, I incorporate the feedback I get from the
meeting and write up the session into a whitepaper. They're all
written
with a Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org/) License.

Over the past year, I've done newbie sessions on cron, choosing a
partition
scheme, the top ten command window tips, how Linux starts up, and so
on.
I also do whitepapers on other topics where I've needed substantial
help, and
figure the best way to say 'thanks' is to write up the notes and make
them
available to those that follow.

There have been members of other user groups who have attended our
meetings
at times, or who have stumbled across one of them online, and used
these
topics and whitepapers as a source of sessions for their own meetings.
It
dawned on me that maybe a more systematic dispersal of these would be
useful to other user groups.

So...

I just finished writing up the whitepaper for our August meeting's
newbie
session on ssh. It's available here:

http://www.hentzenwerke.com/wp/remoteaccessviassh.htm

My question to you is.... would your group be interested in having me
post
a note to the mailing list each time I make a presentation and/or write
up a
new whitepaper? Given that most groups are looking for help with
presentations at one time or another, I'm guessing this would be of
interest, but at the same time, it's only polite to ask, rather than
just
barge in and start blabbing all about.
--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com