[GLLUG] msu dns servers

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Feb 3 12:36:17 EST 2004

Mark Tarquini said:
> I was told that I could just get a regular domain and assign it my IP
> and MSU's DNS servers, but of course if my IP did change i'd have to
> wait a day or two once i updated the domain info.
>
> does anyone do this currently?
>
> I certainly don't want to upset anyone at msu's computer laboratory!

The only way that this plan would work is if MSU was the authoritative
server for your domain.  This kind of thing actually can be contracted
for, but I don't know how difficult it is.  You can pop off mail to
hostmaster at msu.edu to see if it can be done.  The fellow's name is Doug
Nelson.  He's a nice guy, but I don't know the limits of what he can and
can't do as far as hosting outside domains.

Clay Dowling

--
Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/