[GLLUG] Re: RPM Extraction

Chick Tower c.tower at express56.com
Wed Feb 25 17:11:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25, Basher584 wrote:
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:06:44 -0500
> From: Basher584 <basher584 at basher584.org>
> Subject: Re: [GLLUG] RPM Extraction
> To: Chick Tower <c.tower at express56.com>
> Cc: linux-user at egr.msu.edu

> I think it goes something like:
>
> rpm2cpio your.rpm | cpio --extract
>
> -Ben
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:50:52PM +0000, Chick Tower wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to extract one, or several, files from an RPM?

Thanks for the advice, Ben.  That's basically what I ended up doing,
based on a suggestion from alt.os.linux.mandrake.  However, rpm2cpio or
cpio seems to place a period in front of the path of every file in the
archive that is created.  Once I added that period, so I was extracting
./usr/share/icons/mozilla-firefox.png, it worked fine.

Another tip I received from that same newsgroup was to use Midnight
Commander to open the RPM like a directory and then just copy the file I
wanted wherever I wanted it.  It took me a while to figure out he meant
to press <Enter> to open the RPM instead of <F3>, which is what I
usually use to look inside directories.  The help in mc says you can
open a tarball by pressing <Enter>, and I found it also works for RPMs.
Then you can move around the RPM just like it was part of the
filesystem.

                           Chick Tower