[GLLUG] Debian Video/Screen Problem (i'm sure it'll be a simple fix)

Mark Tarquini mark at iametarq.com
Fri Jan 2 17:14:00 EST 2004

...but i just don't know how!

Putting on old my shared printers issue...

I installed Debian today.  However, X will not start at all.  It is telling me
that "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."  after that it
says, "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)".

My monitor is a Dell P780 and the XF86Config file has my monitor labelled
properly, etc.  It shows my correct video card listed, ATI Radeon 32MB.

But whenever it tries to bring up the gui gdm login screen it bite the dust.

It does ask me if i want to run the xconfig or something so i can check the
xserver settings, which shows as a tiny gui in the upper left as if it's in
failsafe mode.  i have tried choosing "monitor that can do 800x600" etc...

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. =) I can't wait til the Jan. 8
meeting. haha.

-Mark