[GLLUG] Web server capacity considerations

Robert G. Brown bob at whizdomsoft.com
Sun Jan 11 15:26:59 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:47:09 -0500, "Seth Bembeneck" <sbdataspiller at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Will a 400Mhz computer handle a web server ok?
>What should the minimum computer speed be for a web server?

You need to look at the whole picuture....

1. CPU speed (400 mhz is great, I have servers that are a lot slower, like a
   166 mHz Pentium)...
2. Memory/Bus speed?
3. Response time and bandwidth of the disks.
4. Line speed (56 Kb... T1)?
5. What sort of web site is it? (static pages, a lot of database or analytic
   activity per request.. in practice some mix is expected).
6. What other software is needed to operate the site? (DBMS? package?
   custom code?)
7. How much traffic do you expect (now, 6 months out)?
   If you have a static site and a good connection, things like processor
   speed don't become a big contraint until you are getting multiple re-
   quests per second...

>        ^
>
>      (0 0)
>
>--(((---v---)))----

..._..........................._
../.`._....................._.'.\
.(. at .:.`...................'.:. at .)
..\..`...`...._....._....'...'../
...\;'.`...`...\.../...'...'.`;/
....\`...`...\..\_/../...'...'/
.....).:-._`..\.(:)./..'_.-:.(