[GLLUG] Re: boot loader configuration for redhat linux 9 and windows 2000 dual boot

Weihong Qi qiw at msu.edu
Tue Jan 20 19:56:10 EST 2004

I am installing redhat linux 9 in a Dell OptiPlex GX270 machine, which has two hard drives: primary master drive dha and primary slavery drive dhb. Windows 2000 has been installed in the master drive. Linux will be installed in the slavery drive. It has a Dell 1703FP monitor and a nVidia GeForce FX5200 video card. Installation was boot from linux installation CD and continued in text mode.

During boot loader configuration, Lilo was chosen. Then there was a step asking:"...what partitions you would like to be able to boot and what label you want to use for each of them..." The information shown on the screen was something like:
Default    Boot Label     Device
              DOS              /dev/hda2
*             Linux             /dev/hdb2

My first question is about the device. should they be set to /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1, respectively? the disk partion is:
/dev/hda
    /dev/hda1 39M vfat
    /dev/dha2 76G ntfs
    free space 7M free space
/dev/hdb
    /dev/hdb1 101M ext3 /boot
    /dev/hdb2 74G ext3 /
    /dev/dhb3 1.9G swap

I also noticed that I could edit the boot labels in the configuration window, but I did not find a way to edit the devices in this window...should I edit them after installtion by edit lilo.conf?

It is my first time to play with linux installation, please bear with me. Thank you.

Weihong.